Access to health assistance of health services in rural and remote areas of Australia can be difficult. It is important that you know who to contact if you require assistance while on the road.
Phone 13HEALTH (13 43 25 84) for qualified staff to give you advice on who to talk to and how quickly you should do it. The advice is confidential, qualified and supportive. 13HEALTH provides qualified health advice; it is not a diagnostic service and should not replace medical consultation. In an emergency always dial ‘000’.
Dial '000' Emergency Service
'000' is an emergency hotline service to contact the police, fire or ambulance in life threatening or urgent situations. '000' calls are answered by a Telstra Operator who will ask which service
Royal Flying Doctors Service - Emergency Contact Numbers
RFDS have operation centres situated across the Australia to respond to telephone and emergency calls and also requests for medical consultations. For further information on this service and/or for emergency contact numbers please visit the RFDS website. http://www.flyingdoctor.org.au/Communications/EC/
Medicines Line 1300 MEDICINE (1300 633 424)
The NPS collaborates with healthdirect Australia to deliver Medicines Line, a telephone service providing consumers with information on prescription, over-the-counter and complementary (herbal/’natural’/vitamin/mineral) medicines.
Dial 13 1111 (RACQ)
Do you need roadside assistance? Call RACQ on 13 1111 or you can contact RACQ for immediate service through a variety of channels 24 hours every day, no matter where you are in Australia.
Other helpful links
For more information on your health while travelling.
Questions to ask your GP
About your general health
- How often do I need a physical health check up?
- Do I need a flu injection or any other immunisations?
- Am I at risk of developing any health problems?
- Are there any lifestyle changes I can make to reduce the impact or prevent certain health problems?
- Are there any services you can recommend that I may be eligible for?
- What may be causing my symptoms?
- What can I do to deal with this problem or reduce symptoms?
- What name/s does the medication have?
- What are the medication side effects?
- Will this medication interact with any other medications I am currently taking?
- What is the recommended dosage and when should I take this medication?
- How long will I need to be taking this medication?
- Is there a generic brand available at a lower cost?
- How is this condition treated or managed?
- How soon should treatment start?
- How long will I need to have treatment?
- How much will the treatment cost? Is it covered by Medicare or health insurance?
- What are the treatment risks?
- What is involved in the testing procedure?
- How long will it be until I get the results?
- What are the side effects of the test?